Rhubarb is a wonderful spring produce and combines with a lot of flavours. I like it combined with elderflower blossom which grows in forests and even in my French garden, so eat the season and get your rhubarb!
- 6 cups of fresh cleaned and chopped rhubarb
- 1/2 cup of apple juice or fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup of liquid sweetener of choice (maple syrup/ brown rice syrup etc.)
- elderflower blossom, from 5-7 heads of flowers (for other flavour combinations check the list below)
- some beet juice for colour (optional)
Prepare by cutting away the tougher bottom of the stem and peel away any though skin if necessary. Cut in bite sized pieces. Combine all ingredients and gently poach for 8-10 minutes or roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes in a pre-heated oven on 180 C or 350 F. When cooled it will thicken a bit. Refrigerate and it will last 4-5 days.
This compote is delicious with plantbased yoghurt (like coconut), pancakes, waffles, overnight oats, whipped coconut cream and mixed in to make a fool, plantbased ice cream or used as a filling in a muffin!
Flavours that go really well with rhubarb are:
- Black pepper
- Elderflower blossom
- Orange blossom water
- Rose water
- Star anise
With all these flavour combinations the possibilities are endless. Start cooking!