This winter cole slaw tastes amazing and will brighten up every winters day! Full of colours, vegan, gluten free and perfect as a side dish to a stew or winter dish. Easy and fast to make, perfect to take with you as a lunch! The tahini dressing is oil free and full of lemon for a fresh taste. This dressing or sauce is very versatile, it suits any salad, plant-based burger, falafel, etc. It can even be used as a dip.
- Half a red cabbage, medium sized and thinly sliced (on the mandoline)
- 2 orange carrots washed and shredded
- 2 yellow carrots washed and shredded
- 2 small chioggia beets washed, peeled and thinly sliced in discs
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds (save a bit to go on top of the salad)
- 1/2 cup of raw walnuts chopped (save a bite to go on top of the salad)
- 1/2 cup of cooked chestnuts (optional and reserve some for decorating on top)
- 1/4 cup of chopped parsley (keep for decorating)
Lemon tahini sauce
- 1/2 cup tahini (sesame paste)
- 1/4 cup of water
- Juice and zest of an organic lemon
- Pinch of salt
- Clove of garlic crushed and finely chopped
Chop the red cabbage, carrots and beets and put them in a bowl. Chop the washed parsley and set aside. Make the tahini dressing by mixing the tahini, salt, garlic and zest in a bowl. Add water and lemon juice a little at a time and whisk until you have a creamy sauce. Taste if it needs additional seasoning (like salt or more garlic). Add the sauce to the salad and leave for at least 20 minutes in a cool place to marinate the flavours together. About 10 minutes before serving add the pomegranate seeds and nuts (keep some for decorating) and mix into the salad. Serve the salad with the chopped parsley, pomegranate seeds and nuts on top.