With summer here there are loads of berries around, I have some red currants in my garden and I am always on the lookout for new ways to use them. I am not a real baking person, but a nice treat once in a while is welcome! So for this new blogpost I made refined sugar and oil free muffins. With all those delicious red and black currants, it is the perfect way to eat the season!!
- 1 cup of whole grain spelt flour (or use gluten free flour if you want)
- 1/2 cup of almond flour
- 1/2 cup of rolled oats
- 1/2 cup of coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup of unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 cup of brown rice syrup (or other liquid sweetener of choice)
- 1 cup of mixed summer berries, I used red and black currants (you can also use frozen ones)
Preheat your oven in 180C or 350F. Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl and mix all wet ingredients in another bowl. Mix both until smooth and incorporate the berries, being careful not to break them. Add a couple of tablespoons of the mixture in each muffin hole, so it is filled for 3/4. I love using silicon molds, they don’t need to be greased! If you haven’t got that, use some muffin papers. Bake in the oven for about 18-25 minutes, check with a wooden toothpick, if it comes out clean they are ready! Let cool completely and enjoy these summer treats!!